Sunday, August 3, 2014

Crafty Classroom Expectations ... *FREEBIE*!

Let me start by saying that I have ZERO experience with spray paint. I've never even picked up a can before in my life.  Needless to say, I've seen all these super cute projects other teachers do on Pinterest, Blogs, and Instagram and I thought to myself, "Hey! That looks easy! I can do that!" 
I guess I needed to remind myself something I always remind my students:: "What's easy for one person isn't necessarily easy for everyone else."

So last night I created my top 10 classroom expectations courtesy of Lessons With Laughter. She created some super cute ones but they didn't match my color scheme and they wouldn't fit in the frames I bought. So I created my own. I love, love, LOVE them!!!! 

You can download them for FREE here(Yes, free!)

I found these super cute frames at Michaels for $3.99. They were 70% off plus I had a 20% off entire purchase coupon. So I bought 11 frames (1 extra) for 96 cents a piece!!! Talk about a great deal!
(photo courtesy of Kinder Craze)

I picked up three cans of spray paint from Walmart.
Rust-Oleum in Seaside
Krylon in Citrus Green (which is not green at all but neon yellow)
Rust-Oleum in Berry Pink

And here is where I had trouble. As I already said, I am not a pro at spray painting. I wouldn't even say I'm a beginner. I'm below a beginner.

So here are my top 4 tips for Spray Painting for Dummies.
1. Stand downwind -- Yes, I did have to learn that one that hard way... and so did my poor iPhone.
2. When the directions say "Shake well before use" you better shake well before use.
3. DO NOT use plastic trash bags to paint on to. Not only does the paint not want to dry on the trash bags, but your project will stick to them and when you think you're finished and everything is dry, you literally have to PRY the final project off of the trash bag (thus leaving behind plastic pieces you can not peel off).
4. Although the spray paint cans say your project will be dry(ish) in 20 minutes, believe me... it's not.

Either way.... it wasn't a complete disaster.
This was before I had to peel them off of the trash bag. 
From a distance they look much better. Up close... you can see every little detail. I wasn't able to peel off the tags easily so I just spray painted over them. At this rate, I might just have to sand down and try again. (I think the tri-colored frame actually came out the best and there's only one coat of paint and it was my tester!!)

With a little Mod Podge... this is the final result!!!


Not sure yet how I'm going to present this or hang them yet but I am SUPER excited and proud of how they turned out regardless!!

What are you tips and tricks for spray painting? This dummy would love to hear them!!!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE those frames. I have to check my Michael's!! I also have a can of that green spray paint. The exact same can! At first it looked more yellowy to me but when it dried it was greener. Too cute.

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine dried with a slight greenish tint. Kind of like the link color on here :)
      You'll really have to search Michael's for them. My mom and I were just about to give up when she stumbled across them!

      Delete
  2. Ash, they look SUPER cute! And that's an AWESOME deal you got them for :)

    Anisa @ Creative Undertakings

    ReplyDelete