Sunday, August 31, 2014

Play-Doh in the Classroom!

So this is a super fun activity I've done with 3rd and 4th graders in the past.
I was a little hesitant with my 6th graders, but who doesn't love Play-Doh?!

To start of this lesson, I gave each of my students a canister of Play-Doh.
Not the super tiny ones, but the bigger canisters.

I allowed my students about 3 minutes of free-play time.
I found this works best so they are focused on the lesson.
"I allowed you 3 minutes to play, now it's your turn to listen."

Then I begin reading the script. 
The ultimate goal of this activity is for students to create a pencil holder.
They go through the entire writing process from the perspective of a sculptor. 
The script will talk about how alike sculptors and writers really are.

 Here are some of our finished products :)
We had a contest to see who could create the most creative pencil holder. 
I think it's safe to say we had some pretty good ones :)


My big classroom reveal still won't be for another month or two.
I'm still waiting on bookshelves that the school ordered for me to arrive. 

On to week 4!! Mid-Quarter is almost here!

XO 

1 comment:

  1. What a cool concept!! I really enjoyed reading the script. It's obvious your students enjoy this creative twist on the writing process and I'm sure makes for a memorable lesson!! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete